Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Guest Blog: Brad Greenbaum

Today are words from foundation fellow Brad Greenbaum, a Spanish and Global Studies major at UCSB:

Inspired by the possibilities that my new position with the Forest Foundation has opened for me, I introduce myself as Brad ‘The Adventure Guy’ Greenbaum. I am a Spanish and Global Studies double major at UCSB, and also a trip leader with the UCSB Adventure Programs. Taking note of my friend’s new job with the foundation, I immediately requested a chance to apply. Fueled by my positive and educational outdoor experiences at a young age, I decided to propose a program that would bring local underprivileged youth into the outdoors.

The Forest Foundation immediately instilled in me a feeling of pride, responsibility, and self-worth. I can’t explain the joy I get saying “I’ve got work to get done” and knowing that I’m not going to sit in an office or clean dishes, but rather I am working to make a lasting difference. I love the idea of extending a hand to a community through a program I myself have created, however there is also serious pressure and responsibility that comes with this excitement. I am learning about myself, testing my patience, determination and creativity on a daily basis. The excitement and pride I have already felt working with this foundation provide me with fuel to keep developing this program and challenge myself as an inventor, facilitator, and mentor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home