Monday, January 31, 2005

Guest Blog: Alon Sachar

Today I present words by Alon Sachar, a UCSB junior double majoring in Political Science and Middle Eastern Studies:

It’s really hard to articulate the impact that the Forest Foundation has had on my college tenure. With the stress of school, money and where my next meal will come from, volunteering for organizations that I otherwise deeply respect seems to be out of the picture. Aside from academically, pursuing endeavors that I feel passionate about was always something I figured I would do later in life; that is, when I reach my goals in higher education and settle down. Working for the Forest Foundation this past year, however, has completely changed those notions.

The Forest Foundation gives me the opportunity to chase my passions while earning some decent spending cash. Last year I volunteered for the Anti-Defamation League in Santa Barbara – an organization whose goal is to eradicate anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry. Interning for a second year with the ADL would have been impossible, because I needed some cash. The Forest Foundation has allowed me not only to continue working with the ADL as a programmer, but also ensures that I can afford to do so. I’ve also been working on the First Annual Santa Barbara Jewish Film Festival, which will hopefully strengthen Jewish identity throughout the county. I love that I can choose what organizations to help. This is no ordinary job and in the end it really comes down to community, friendship and passion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home