Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Guest Blog: Hannah Laiken

Today, words from Hannah Laiken, a UCSB sophomore majoring in Economics:

My fall quarter of my second year at UCSB was transformed because of my involvement with the foundation. I participated in numerous activities, including Shabbat programs at Bnai’ Brith, a Yom Kippur children’s program, a community New Year’s celebration, and was responsible for planning the B’nai B’rith Hanukah festivities, as well as a JEWLS (Jewish Ladies Society) regressive dinner date party. However, my most memorable experience with the Forrest Foundation was at a “Schmooze Room” event over Sukkot, where I was able to help several senior citizens make a blessing over the Lulav and Etrog for the first time since their childhood.

Although being a member of the Forest Foundation is technically my job, it is impossible for me to consider the many projects that I have been a part of as “work”. I have met so many amazing individuals who have not only been wonderful friends to me, but also have inspired me on a daily basis. Just knowing that there are college students who genuinely care about something greater than the selfish pleasures that Isla Vista has to offer is extremely comforting. Every moment that I have spent with the foundation has been an experience of tremendous personal growth, and I can honestly say that in the future, there is no doubt in my mind that I will continue to be involved in my community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home