Monday, January 10, 2005

Guidance

As I move forward with a book about our foundation and the method we use to create community, I look to other sources for inspiration and guidance. One source that I have found extremely helpful is a book entitled Hearts and Hands: Creating Community in Violent Times. In a nutshell, it's about how society needs to stop prosecuting young offenders who commit violent crimes and instead nurture the positive aspects of society to hinder youth violence. It's a very interesting book written by a life-long social activist and former gang member and youth offender. While our subject points are fairly disparate, our goals are one and the same: to create community. So I may look to this book for help when I am unsure or maybe lose track of where exactly the foundation's book is going. It's a helpful tool for writing my first book. I am able to pick up on what I see as successes and failures in the books narrative, and either adapt or avoid them in my own. In this manner, I feel as if I am blazing a new trail based on a general map given me by an experienced explorer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home