Monday, January 24, 2005

Guest Blog: Richard Sloven

Today, Richard Sloven from UCSB speaks:

When I first joined The Forest Foundation, I knew I was a part of something special. An organization that pays college-aged students to “better themselves and the community” is like no other organization I have ever heard. When I first interviewed for the foundation, I was asked, “What do you like?” “Simple, music,” I replied. Since then I have designed a course for high school students called School of Rock in which I teach them about the history of Rock & Roll. In addition to learning about the music, the students in the class will get hands-on experience putting on a concert, as we will sign a band to play a show. The students will have to promote the show, sell tickets, and take care of all the little details involved in concert promoting.

I feel I have gained life skills from the foundation. Each week we have a training session in which we learn about interpersonal communication, leadership skills, and other self-improvement methods. I have already applied these methods to my job with the foundation, a job that demands responsibility from me. For the first time I know what it is like to have real world responsibilities. The Forest Foundation has given me a sense of accomplishment and makes me feel like a contributing member of society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home