Friday, October 27, 2006

Chronicles of a day on the job

Yesterday I went to visit one of my Program Directors, Oscar, at his program, “Life Chronicles.” My goal at the beginning of the year was to make a point to see all of my Program Directors in action (on the job). I decided that visually seeing and participating in the programs was the best way for me to understand them so I can evaluate my role. My visit surpassed what I expected.


I expected to sit and watch Oscar edit some videos and tell me what he does all day and give me a tour of the office. The only thing that met my expectations was the tour. I went upstairs to meet, Kate Carter, who is the founder of Life Chronicles and Oscars mentor. She had so much life and energy, I could have listened to her for hours. What I thought would be a 40-1 hour visit turned into almost 2 hours of listening to inspirational story after story.

Life Chronicles is a non-profit organization that as the title says, chronicles life. They started the non-profit by video taping terminally ill or elderly people. These people would leave messages to loved ones, tell their stories and share anything so that they would be remember when they passed away. However, I learned that the organization has taken so much more on and has affected so many lives. When she showed me the promotional video I was trying to hard to hold back the tears. She remarked that a day without crying at Life Chronicles would be incomplete.

During my visit there, I realized more and more how incredible and special the Forest Foundation is to me. We are connected to so many powerful and life changing organizations. We have amazing leaders, such as Oscar, who has the heart, drive and passion for making a difference in peoples lives. It is so nice to know that there are other people out there with a simple vision of changing the world. Whether it is making a videotape to remember a loved one or supporting leaders there are people out there making a difference.

-Morgan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home