Monday, October 16, 2006

A touching story

Sarah Jebrock runs a really exciting program in the Bay Area where she paris up volunteers with immigrants and refugees to tutor them in ESL. This is a portion of an e-mail sent to me from Sarah Jebrock.
"...Also, a wonderful thing happened with the ESL program today! Usually when
I speak to the refugee families for the first time (in person or on the
phone) I ask them to tell me about how they got here, what there specific
needs are, etc. These stories are unfortunately all extremely sad...most
of the families are seprated, with a spouse or children still left in
Guatemala, and either in danger or out of contact. I always feel really
good that our program can bring some joy into their lives by providing
them with a teacher and friend, but I have to say that sometimes those sad
stories are too much. But today was amazing- I met (in person) a
Guatemalan refugee couple that was interested in the program. I asked them
about their story, and they told me that after 5 years of being separated,
the wife in Guatemala and the husband here, they were able to be together
again, AND, all of their children are here with them! This is extremely
rare from what I've seen so far, and it made me so happy to see a family
safe and undivided! I was also able to find a volunteer for them, and now
they will be learning English too! The story just gets better and better..."
This story made me feel amazing about what we at the forest foundation are doing!
--Brady

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home