Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Is this really happening?

I know this is a little late but I wanted to share the experience I had at my first meeting with the college Program Directors.
All day I was really excited and nervous to lead my first meeting of the year and not to mention, my first meeting ever. I have never been in a position like this before. I was anxious to put my leadership skills to the test.
I spent a couple of hours putting together the agenda for the night. I wanted to come up with a great icebreaker game and an effective first meeting. By the time I finished it was 4:00 (the meeting started at 8). I was about to print them all out when I realized that my printer wasn’t working. I figured I would go to Hillel early to print out all the agendas, meet with my last PD, eat dinner and relax before the big hour.
When I arrived at Hillel the doors were closed. I realized that they were not on school hours so the facility would not be open that late. I quickly called Dave and Aaron to ask for advice. I remembered that Brad, one of my PDs had a great house in IV that he suggested I use for a social or meeting one day. I don’t think he realized that it would be so soon. Thanks to Brad we had a place to meet. BUT I still had no agendas. I called around and finally got a hold of Jessi. I went over to use her printer. However, her printer was out of ink and was taking forever to print. We finally figure it all out by 7:40. We rushed over to Brad’s so that I could be there before everyone. I had some of the PDs calling me asking where to park, where to go. I felt like I had drunk 3 cups of coffee. Instead of being nervous I was pumped with adrenal and laughing at all the things that already went wrong.
I rushed up to the bathroom before the meeting started. I got a call from Marissa asking if she was in the right house while I was trying to figure out how to button my pants. Of course the button broke. Luckily, all the misfortunes put me at ease. I was really jittery and excited throughout the whole meeting. I wasn’t nervous because I had so many “oh, man is this really happening moments” that nothing else could have happened. If it did, I probably would have just laughed.
That was my first meeting. I look forward to more this year. Hopefully they will be as exciting as the first. I just hope I don’t break my pants again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home