Friday, August 18, 2006

The Adventures of a Nomad


My adventure started the day I stepped on the plane to go Australia. I decided after graduation I was going to test myself by taking a month trip to Australia and Fiji alone. I kept myself distracted before getting on the plane so that I wouldn’t let my mind wonder with fears, anxiety and false expectations. I loved every minute I was away. I took it as an opportunity to explore the many aspects of myself and to let loose and have “no worries” as they say in Australia or “ a sang-a na- langa” (Fijian).
I was confronted with daily challenges both physically and emotionally. In Australia, I zip lined through a rainforest, went white water rafting and was the only one on my boat who didn’t fall off (that doesn’t include the 5 times the guide tipped us). I learned how to throw a boomerang and a spear, so if I get really mad, you better think twice before pushing my buttons! One of the highlights was that I got to dance on stage with the Aboriginals in front of hundreds of people. I met “heeps” of people from all over the world. Being close friends with primarily Jewish kids similar to myself, I was thrilled that my three closest friends were Chinese Canadian, English Indians and a native Australian.
After 2 ½ weeks in Australia, I was excited to go to Fiji and just lounge around on the beaches soaking up the sun. To my surprise, Fiji was way more than I beaches. Instead, we went to the villages, the schools and played with all the young Fijian kids. Their lives were so simple: no Internet, no running water, some of villages didn’t have electricity. However, the kids and the people in Fiji were some of nicest people I have ever met. Everyone waves, smiles and talks to you as if they were your best friends. There is so much warmth in that country, and I’m not referring to the sun, which was nice as well.
When I returned, I came back with dozens of bug bites, a fabulous tan, and a lifetime of memories. I was excited to return home to take a vacation from my vacation. However, the day I stepped off the plane I was instructed by Dave to return to Santa Barbara for the full time training and retreat. I came “straight away” (Australia lingo) with my backpackers back pack and mini rolling suitcase. Again, I had no expectation of the 2 weeks I was planning on spending in SB with my co-workers/friends. The challenges, adventures and lack of sleep I experienced in Australia and Fiji seemed to carry on in my two weeks of bonding. I learned a lot about all the full timers including how Aaron’s nostrils flare when he laughs, Dave makes the best Indian tribe leader, Brady is the hottest chick I have ever seen and Levi makes a mean guacamole.
After my long romantic walks on the beach with Aaron and Brady, lots of board games and a few hours a day creating trainings for this year I decided it was time to take another vacation. I couldn’t think of a better place than CANADA. My boyfriend took me to Vancouver for his birthday. After playing with the beluga whales at the aquarium, seeing a drag show and riding around Stanley park on a tandem bike I figured I was ready to start my job.
So, here I am. I’m back in SB and getting down to business. This week I am no longer a nomad. I am getting settled into an actual home, with my own bed and no more suitcases! Well maybe a few more, at least until I am completely settled. I have been contacting my PDs, learning about my job and picking Aaron and Dave’s brain apart. I have already learned a lot about myself in this week a lone. Traveling may have been fun and challenging, but it was nothing compared to the adventure I have ahead of me! To conclude, I will leave you all with a nice big loud warm Fijian BULA!!! ( welcome/YAY!)
- Morgan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home