Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Sweet as Honey


These past two weeks have been filled with some of the most interesting and exciting days of my life. Who would have thought that within the same week as turning in my last term paper of college and filling in the final bubble of my undergraduate career, that I would find myself writing emails to Taiwan, Uganda, Argentina, and Russia. Working on projects that I love in the most amazing atmosphere is the best graduation present ever! Each morning I wake up to hear the daily plans of my fellow Forest Foundation workers, some of the happiest, most hard-working people I have ever met. I couldn't ask for a more inspiring way to start the day.

Working as the Remote Jewish Communities Director, I am currently contacting communities from all over the globe to take part in our second annual Apples 'n Honey program. With the idea that every Jewish community should have the opportunity to come together in celebration of their Jewish identity and New Year no matter where they are, the Forest Foundation offers monetary grants to areas of the world where this would otherwise be impossible. In the effort to seek out and support the development of Jewish communities both large and small in every corner of the world where diminished resources and limited access to Jewish life are decreasing identity, I have explored the internet, met with friends who have just returned from studying abroad, and have contacted Hillels and organizations internationally. As of now, it looks as though communities in Argentina, the Former Soviet Union, Mexico, and Ghana will be taking part in the Forest Foundation's sponsored international celebrations of the Jewish new year, Apples 'n Honey.

Rosh Hashanah is just around the corner and with each day I hope to get a new community on board. I have discovered Jews in places that I never knew existed. Tunisia, Taiwan, Tahiti, Zurich, Malta, and Cuba are just some of the areas that I will be working with in developing their Jewish community. I am so thrilled to be apart of such an amazing foundation and opportunity. These celebrations will offer a setting for these communities to come together in celebration of their Jewish identity and will be a spark for inspiration that will change their community forever. This year is looking like it can only be sweet as honey!

-Levi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home