Thursday, August 24, 2006

The lost tribes of Israel?


In my current research of Remote Jewish communities, I have come across so many interesting and diverse groups of people that I never knew existed. Through my work in this area of the forest foundation, two different communities have caught my eye in particular. I never thought that there were so many Jews in Africa, but never even dreamed that their would be a community of close to a thousand Jews in Uganda, and a group as small as around one hundred or so in Ghana. Although these two communities are very different in their religious practices, size, culture, and history, I have high hopes that we will be working hard with them in developing their community and identity with Judaism. How fascinating is it that a group of 70+ Jews in Ghana, isolated from much of the world with little physical connection to Judaism, didn't know that an actual modern day Israel existed? Yet, these Jews still learn, study, pray, and give themselves to Hashem with all of their hearts? Imagine if a few of the younger members of these communities could travel to Israel and report back to their families and friends with stories of the land of milk (apples) and honey...what a miracle this would be!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home