Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Yashiya Coming Along

We began blocking for Yashiya at rehearsal last night. For those who don't know, blocking refers to the movements the actors make for the entire time that they are on stage. It's much more involved than I originally thought - you have to constantly think about how to unite the words with body language so that there's no dissonance between the actor and his character and so the lines don't come off cheesy and phony. Furthermore, you have to account for all the other actors on stage, even if they're not speaking. The rehearsal made me realize just how complicated bringing a play to life really is. There're so many details and so much preparation that needs to be done to make a play a success. I won't lie; once Jordan and I finished writing the script, I thought that we were over the hump and that it was all gravy from there on out. The rehearsals would be all fun and games and we saw our words come to life, I thought. Now I clearly see that I was horribly, horribly mistaken - there is plenty of work left to do to make this play a reality. However, although bringing Yashiya to the stage will require more preparation than I originally thought, I'm still having a great time with it, and I'm undoubtedly sure everyone else involved is feeling the same. We have a ways to go, but as long as we're having a good time along the way, it's no problem. I personally couldn't ask for a better group of people to be working alongside for this play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home