Monday, November 22, 2004

Hypnosis

The Sunday night trainings seem to be just getting better and better. Last night, Mrs. Peal taught us the techniques for self-hypnosis. We learned how to put ourselves in a trance for a predetermined amount of time and while in trance name a goal we'd like to accomplish.

An avid critic of hypnosis, I was skeptical about the session at first. I'd been to two hypnosist shows before, where participants are randomly picked from the audience to do absurd things, and never really believed it was authentic. But last night was different, for some reason. Probably because it wasn't in a "show" atmosphere and was instead approached as a serious tool for relaxation and motivation I was able to open up to it a little more. And by opening up to the techniques, I was really able to find myself in a trance. I felt completely at ease and empowered, if you can believe that. It really was quite remarkable, the sensation of complete relaxation; it's not something many of us feel very often, I believe. The best part is that the hypnosis wasn't a one time thing - we were taught how to put ourselves into a trance whenever we feel it to be useful. This is the type of thing that I feel is extremely empowering, yet for some reason rejected or not taught to so many people. It is this type of beneficial and extraordinary learning that makes working for the Forest Foundation truly unique and enlightening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home